Tuesday 8 January 2013

My 6-weeks check-up

My 6-week post-operation check-up was due today. However on Wednesday 02 January I bent over slightly and felt a sharp pain in my large scar in my stomach. I looked down and saw that it had opened up in the corner by about 1cm. The next morning after a shower I noticed some redness and yellow fluid in the opening. I didn't want to take any chances at this early stage so I went to the hospital to have it looked at.

I was seen by Ray Trevit, who told me it didn't look too serious and it could be that an internal stitch may have pierced the scar and caused the inflammation and tear. Just to be on the safe side Ray took a swap of the fluid for testing for an infection. Whilst I was there Ray also took my blood pressure, urine sample and some blood, which was going to be done today. I was told to keep the scar clean and keep Ray updated.

The following morning after a shower I noticed the tear looked slightly purple! I gave it a bit of a squeeze (as you do!) and something purple came to the surface! I grabbed a tweezer and pulled on it, and out came a large piece of undissolved stitch! A few weeks ago one of the keyhole scars wouldn't heal, every morning I noticed that it had opened up again. One morning I saw a tiny piece of stitching stick out, and pulled out a similar undissolved stitch, only this one was clear, so I was relieved because I knew that was what caused the tear in the large scar. Over the next few days it closed up again.


I received my test results today. Ray was very happy with the results and so was I. Every test came back normal, my kidney function is good at 62% (It was 82% before the operation with 2 kidneys), creatinine level is 117 which is normal for my size, age and single kidney, blood pressure is normal, and the swap for the infection came back negative. We discussed my health and recovery and I mentioned that I felt fine and almost as good as before the operation. I only have some discomfort from the internal stitches that still have to dissolve fully and the tissue to mend and the swelling to dissipate, and my energy levels are still a bit low. So I was told to rest for a few more days and only return to work on Monday 14 January 2013. I now only need to return for a check-up once every year.



With the worst now behind me and my recovery almost complete, it feels great knowing what I did for Pieter and seeing him also recovering so well. I won't lie to you, it was a tough few weeks both physically and mentally. But it's only for a few weeks, soon it will all be a distant memory. But for Pieter it means a normal, healthy life.


2 comments:

  1. I come from the blog of crochet, this whole experience is amazing, since they met and then everything ocurrio.Un imitar.Un gesture hug from Argentina
    Marisa
    marisasalvadeo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comment and for visiting our blog Marisa.

    ReplyDelete