Saturday 30 November 2013

My annual check-up test results


I just did a happy dance through the house for the past 30 minutes, after I received my test results! To call it miraculous would be an understatement!




Here is a comparison of my GFR and Creatinine levels:


                        Before the operation    Day of discharge     6 Weeks later    One year later

Creatinine:                   78                               109                       117                   96
GFR: (ml/min)              84                           not tested                   62                   79



Creatinine is a chemical waste product in the blood that passes through the kidneys to be filtered and eliminated in urine. The chemical waste is a by-product of normal muscle contractions. Creatinine is made from creatine, a supplier of energy to the muscle. Creatinine tests help doctors determine kidney function. Normal values are between 80 and 120 depending on age and size. 

Glomerular filtration rate (GFR) is a test used by physicians and other medical professionals to see if the kidneys are working correctly. In basic terms, it is a measurement of how much liquid and waste is passing from the blood through the tiny filters in the kidney, called the glomeruli, and out into the urine during each minute. The test measures how much creatinine is in the blood. This shows how well the kidneys are performing. In a normal healthy person the GFR stays close to the same value all of the time. The test is done by taking blood from a person and sending it to a laboratory. Normal values are between 80ml/min and 110ml/min depending on age and size.

So as you can see from this comparison, my kidney function with just one is almost as good as it was with two! Compare this to the fact that I was told during my tests not to be alarmed if the GFR is as low as 40, because that's apparently acceptable for donors. 

Now you'll understand why I'm so happy and grateful! I saved my friend's life and I'm physically no worse off because of it. It's truly a miracle.



No comments:

Post a Comment